Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Lee Kuan Yew caned me - such an honor

Ouch ! Please, sir, may I have another - whack ! Attended the US-ASEAN 25th anniversary dinner with special guest of honor Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. I got a chance to meet him and shake his hand - I asked "What about Burma?"... the Minister Mentor paused, looked at me, and growled loudly - "I've given up on Burma!!!" to which my only reply was "c'mon...." ( maybe I shouldn't have bothered him during dessert... my bad )
It was a nice evening at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in DC. George Schultz, U.S. Secretary of State for President Reagan and Henry Kissinger, Secretary of State for President Nixon were there too and said some nice things about Lee. Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs, Kurt Campbell was there and told a story about how Lee almost caned him when he was a youngster. And Senator Jim Webb gave the toast. Fun. President of the US-ASEAN business council, Alexander Feldman, awarded Lee with a life time achievement award. More fun. Lee gave a nice long speech and even took on some Q&A which was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment